Friday, December 7, 2007

Welcome to Created4Health!

You were created for a purpose!

O LORD, you have searched me and known me! You know when I sit down and when I rise up; you discern my thoughts from afar. You search out my path and my lying down and are acquainted with all my ways. Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O LORD, you know it altogether. You hem me in, behind and before, and lay your hand upon me. Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high; I cannot attain it.

Where shall I go from your Spirit? Or where shall I flee from your presence? If I ascend to heaven, you are there! If I make my bed in Sheol, you are there! If I take the wings of the morning and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, even there your hand shall lead me, and your right hand shall hold me. If I say, "Surely the darkness shall cover me, and the light about me be night," even the darkness is not dark to you; the night is bright as the day, for darkness is as light with you.

For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother's womb. I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well. My frame was not hidden from you, when I was being made in secret, intricately woven in the depths of the earth. Your eyes saw my unformed substance; in your book were written, every one of them, the days that were formed for me, when as yet there was none of them. How precious to me are your thoughts, O God! How vast is the sum of them! - King David in Psalm 139

Created4Health.org is committed to communicating the truth that we are created by God, in His image, and that His intention for our lives is to live in health. What a wonderful truth that God has personally created me for a purpose, and is interested in every single day of my life! The above quote by Kind David is one of the most eloquent statements of that truth.

So what is "health?" It is a common word in the English language, but its exact meaning can be a bit difficult to pin down. Ask 10 different people on the street what they think "health" means, and you will probably get 10 different answers. Often we can define a word by stating its opposite. The opposite of health would be "sick" or "sickness." This word is probably more easily defined, and most would define it in terms of diseases and physical maladies.

But is health simply the absence of physical sickness? The history of man as unfolded in the pages of the Bible, the best selling book of all time, sees health and sickness as primarily spiritual issues - as opposed to primarily physical health, as our modern culture does. Health in Biblical culture is measured by man's relationship to his Creator. You very seldom see people in Biblical times going to doctors to purchase "health", and in the few instances where they do, the result is often disastrous. (See 2 Chronicles 16:12-13 and Mark 5:25-26 for examples.) Instead, you see people who had a relationship with God and believed in Him as their Creator turn to spiritual leaders for guidance in health. In the Old Testament times you would go to the priests if you were sick, and in the New Testament we have story after story of people seeking out Jesus and His disciples in their sickness and being healed: "Jesus....healed them all." (Matthew 12:15).

Have times really changed today? Has science and technology along with the modern-day medical system replaced our need to know God and seek Him out to achieve health? Few would agree today that our current medical system solves all our health needs. Many may turn to God when all else fails, in desperation, especially when the medical system has no answers for us and we don't know where else to look.

Well I am here to proclaim that God is just as interested in giving you true health today as He has been at any other point in history. In fact, His power to help us reach our true purpose in life is more available today than it ever has been! You don't need to wait until you are in a desperate crisis to cry out to God. You can start your journey to healthy living right now! Join me in my blog as we explore the wonderful truths of God's incredible love for us, and His desire to see us obtain a healthy life.

Brian Shilhavy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mr. Shilhavey,

Your words are truth! Thank you for so eloquently writing what I have been trying to say for years. God is interested in our health. Every step we take is purposed for His Kingdom. For too long we have blindly been led down a crooked path. God desires us to be strong for Him! We have been dealt a blow from the enemy that may be hard to heal but not impossible for God! I have been inspired to speak more boldly to those who have been imprisoned in darkness and who seek to be free. For years I have been "trying" to teach good health to those in my covenant body. Today, I have been inspired and re-ignited with a passion to help those who are sick, or weak. Thank you for your words!